Membership is open to organisations and individual funders that:
- Act primarily as grantmakers, not grantseekers
- Make or are interested in making environmental grants in Australia
- Are capable of giving $25,000 or more per annum – this relates to total giving to all issues not just to the environment
- Have the capacity to give to more than one organisation
- Where philanthropic endeavours are attached to another entity, such as a business or corporation, have a separate board for decision-making purposes that relate to their philanthropy
- Demonstrate environmental responsibility in their policies and operations
- Agree not to use their membership of the AEGN for the purposes of grantseeking
All membership submissions are reviewed by the AEGN Board and an organisation or individual that does not fully meet the membership criteria may be refused.
Membership year runs from July 1 to 30 June. For new members joining after 1 January, the fee will be discounted by 50 per cent.
Our standard membership fee is $500. Beyond your membership, you can also play a vital role in funding the AEGN’s work by choosing to become a Strategic, Sustaining, Leading or Ambassador Supporter.
Membership and supporter donation structure
- Annual fee — $500
- Half year fee (January to June) — $250
- Strategic supporter — donation ($1 to $4,499) and annual fee ($500)
- Sustaining supporter — donation ($4,500 to $14,499) and annual fee ($500)
- Leading supporter — donation ($14,500 – $49,499) and annual fee ($500)
- Ambassador supporter — donation ($49,500+) and annual fee ($500)
- Other — your choice of donation and member fee ($500 and a donation of your choice).
We do not receive corporate sponsorship or government funding. We rely completely on the financial support of our members. If you would like more information about our funding requirements, the projects in need of support or would like a presentation to your board, contact us.
Membership fees include GST and are a ‘fee for service’ and therefore not tax deductible. Donations, however, are tax deductible. The AEGN has deductible gift recipient (DGR) and tax concession charity (TCC) status.
To find out more about considering using public ancillary funds to cover membership fees, refer to PAFs guidance.