Step 10. Start funding
Now bring it all together.
- Do you feel good about your research?
- Are you clear about your mission and values?
- Have you decided on your priority areas and the types of funding you might give? If there are too many, choose one to begin with.
- Have you talked to the organisations that you are thinking about funding? Do they agree with your ideas about the types of approaches that need funding or are you going to call for applications?
- Will you establish an agreement with your fundee and have you decided on how you want to stay in contact with them? Do you want the project you have funded reviewed or evaluated?
Once you have made your decisions, the next step for you to take is to give your funds away and enjoy your good work.
Remember, grantmaking is an imprecise science and there is no silver bullet to solving environmental issues. But many members have funded all sorts of different projects with terrific outcomes.
Finally, good luck. There is very little certainty in the business of giving funds away but it can be deeply satisfying and have great impact on the issues you care about. So take a leap and start funding.
- What type of funder are you? For example, are you an individual donor, a private ancillary fund, a trust?
- Approximately, how much do you intend to give away to environmental issues and in what time frame?
- Who is going to help you make your decisions?
Record your answers in the worksheet (pdf)